Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Walk in the Morning


Today, I embark on a new journey in the wake of scripture. This path follows the man Jesus who became a healer of the sick and a savior of tormented souls. By my own wayward path in life, I find that he has been walking a parallel course in which his helping hand has always been extended. I never realized before how much the journey is about others than just myself, that through others’ trials and tribulations, I have been called to follow in the footsteps of a kind forgiving savior.

Today, in the scriptures we find Jesus as the one who became like us so that he could better understand our experience. He knew that the only way he could be of service was to live life on the same level as the every day person. He did not do it to serve angels, rather, to show us the divine love of his father in heaven. He cares and is empathetic to our struggles, whether they are relational, physical or spiritual. He comes to us by way of the dusty trail through desert plains, through waters rocked by storms and through lush gardens of peace and tranquility. He shows us that all we need is to trust in him and the saving grace of his message on earth.

This morning, as I seek to draw a parallel course to where I am called to be, the words echo in my mind and memory that to serve and be served are but one in the same. So as we serve, we are served. To understand, we are understood and to believe as we are called to believe. That no matter what, our needs are met and our mission is clear; to love and serve the Lord is our path and destination in life. That through others we can realize the love of a father willing to sacrifice his only son so we could have everlasting life.

Now, as I step through the door of my own individual wants, needs and desires, I go with the understanding that no matter what may befall me this day, there is always a loving God who shows the way by example. And so I conclude this meditation with a sense of renewed hope that his hand will be there as long as I am willing to reach out to others as well. Just as a walk in the morning brought a savior to the multitudes of Galilee: so too, I step forward as a servant of the Lord. As the winter wind blows and the approaching storm brings a light falling snow, I too face the challenges of bitter temperatures and a path encumbered with challenges to overcome. May God bless those who are sick with renewed health, restore the lost soul to familiar surroundings and grant the seeker a meaningful gift of everlasting faith. I pray that this knowledge of hope comes to all who walk the path of life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment