Friday, February 13, 2009

Waiting for Spring

Photo: Dale Wittler

Powell’s Edge
“Oh Great Mystery”

By Powell’s edge
I whispered
“Speak to me”
And you answered
Oh Great Mystery
Not in words
Through rustling trees
Amidst a gentle blowing breeze
“Welcome”.

Speak to me
In silent blessing
Your windswept words
On sighing leaves
Proclaiming.

No towering height
Nor timbered temple
Can contain thee
Spirit within me.

Showering storm
Rolling thunder
Reason for my wonder
Oh Great Mystery.

Removed from flesh
Knowing no hunger
Only the query
Of life surrounds me
Like a cradle
From your womb
Oh Great Mystery.
We have seen such drastic changes in the weather lately here in Northwest Ohio. It makes me long for spring as I look out the window to see that the snow has melted entirely. You would be amazed at what lay beneath a pile of plowed snow. I was reminded of that yesterday as I took our dog Buddy for a walk at a nearby park. It has become a routine that I pick up trash as we walk so as to give myself motivation to exercise and to live up to the idea that we "leave this earth a little better than the way we found it." I think there is great wisdom in this phrase, especially when it comes to our relationships. If we can leave an example that is positive and lasting, then more than likely people will follow it.
I offer above a poem I wrote last summer on the Fourth of July. It says a lot about the time I set aside in prayer each day, or try to anyway. Some days it just does not help to force it, but then there are days like this that more than make up for a lapse in inspiration. And so I sit here longing for Spring and the renewed promise of a savior resurrected. God bless. Witt.

No comments:

Post a Comment