Sunday, March 15, 2009

Shedding the Darkness




Like the approaching sunrise of an early Saturday morning, I felt anticipation growing in my heart. And as the first sounds of bird song rose to greet me on my back door step, I felt the promise of spring fill my lungs with a fresh breath of air. Frost covered the wind shield of my car as the engine awoke with the hum of internal combustion and a tell-tale puff of exhaust. A sleepy eyed town had just begun to adjust to the rhythm of another weekend as a lone traffic light flickered green behind me. I would be taking the back roads today.

Through the countryside I flung the tiny aqua green Chevrolet into fifth gear and proceeded towards the county line. The bumps and jolts of salt abuse and plowed over asphalt stood ominous and black as the eastern sky hinted at a glorious glowing dawn. I had hopes of seeing the sunrise above the horizon before reaching my final destination a mere twenty five minutes away. The familiar trip had become a common occurrence, but on Sundays only and long after dawn’s early light. “What lay ahead in the presence of strangers?” I wondered to myself as the radio static compelled me to push the “off” button. It would be a solemn and prayerful last few miles indeed.

What began as a peaceful, slow evolving day became one as fast and furious as a hungry camp fire devouring the dried and dead remnants of a tall oak tree; its leaves long gone and feeding the earth with potential new life. By the end, an experience treasured with the memories of new found friendship and a renewed sense of purpose to “Go, light my world.” Having been served, fed and pampered beyond belief, there was a sense of optimism, unity and love I scarce can describe through mere words. This was the gist of my retreat experience at Saint Mary’s church. One I hope to follow-up on and put into practice in the near future. For the following new found friends I dedicate this page: Valerie, Gilbert, Sandra, Suzie, Joe, April and Sr. Dean. God bless and keep you as you go about shedding the darkness!

No comments:

Post a Comment