Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Thorn Bottom Lake

I want to thank a fellow scouter friend of mine for posting a picture and comment on a certain social networking web site about the recent flooding in our area of Northwest Ohio. Thanks Verl Dasher for sharing Brad Dysinger's post. Here goes, a work in progress...previously titled: A View of Thorn Bottom.

I read your post only moments ago

and took in a view of Thorn Bottom,

Where thaw took hold of winter only yesterday;

causing me to long for Spring.


But alas, days have only begun to stretch

beyond a solstice strain

where flurries return in short measure,

to invigorate warm fingers with pain.


Flood water invades plain

Where field number 2 once was

and thus there is no trace, no lane

to take me there again.


To church where we gather

There is no bridge of hope

no rails contain

are covered now from rain.


And I thought to myself

from memory of travel

How countryside far and wide

was so rudely affected.


These Northwest Ohio winters

How they have changed

From blizzard of “78”

To these el Niño’s I hate.


Now laughing as I gaze

upon a memory of sight

of fields overlooking lakes

and geese on ice skates.

                                     D.A. Wittler 1/14/13





No comments:

Post a Comment