Sunday, January 4, 2015

Where My Story Begins

The following is a sample introduction to what might develope into a book I have dreamed of writing for most of my life. I seem to have gotten started on many occasions only to abandon the effort through some life crisis or another. Your feedback means a great deal to me so feel free to comment. Thank You and God Bless.
-D.A. Wittler 1/4/2015.

It was New Year's eve and I lie on the bed contemplating the past eighteen months or so of my life. If I had wanted to I could have recounted what would have sounded like a version of “A Trail of Tears” with all of its ups and downs, mainly down; from fits of depression to the ecstatic moments when faith had prevailed over thoughts of suicide. On the other hand my story could have gone in a whole new direction such that no mention of divorce or the humiliation of sitting in a court room and relinquishing what was left of human dignity before a county magistrate was ever mentioned. I choose, therefore, to begin where life and death are of no consequence and the innocence of a young boy overshadow any hint of the complexities of adulthood. My story is one of faith, hope, love and the ties of community that bind folks together in a small Midwestern town. My hope then is this: that someone out there can relate to what it means to grow up without ties to Facebook, Twitter or the incessant hum of technology relentlessly buzzing around like some government drone looking for a target to destroy. In this age of terrorism and distrust, my wish is to turn back the clock for a moment and celebrate what used to be what people referred to as “the American Dream.”

No comments:

Post a Comment