Tuesday, December 30, 2008

So Much to Read, So Much to Write

I currently have four books sitting on my desk in various stages of either being read or waiting in line to be read. Ralph Waldo Emerson: Selected Essays, Lectures and Poems, Jason Wright: Recovering Charles, Tim Russert: Big Russ & Me, Father and Son: Lessons for Life and Glenn Beck: The Christmas Sweater. Obviously, they are all male authored with various themes that men are not typically known to discuss openly. My hope is get these books read some time in the next month or so since I am still laid off from my job.
Honestly, I could care less to go back to a job where my hard work goes largely unappreciated and underpaid, but then I feel as though I sold my soul to the working man’s woes when I chose to abandon a bachelor’s degree for life in a factory. It must be my father’s blood that demands the practical side and traditional role of provider that keeps me harnessed to this work horse mentality. The difference is that those nice paying automotive jobs are all but vanishing and the “Big 3” are quickly becoming the “Old 2.”
Call me crazy for bucking the current, but if I can’t find a way out of this quagmire and do what I know in my heart is true for me, then I am indeed a lost soul.
The coming New Year is still a mystery with so much uncertainty that all I can do is live for the present moment and pray God will help sort out the rest. “Eternal vigilance”, was Albus Dumbledore’s advice to Harry Potter as the final battle between good and evil in the magical world loomed ahead. J.K Rowling was wiser than she realized when she penned these words in her now legendary series of books. While I do not claim to possess her skill, I share the desire to make a difference through the written word. The hard part is sticking with it and truly believing in the dream.
We all owe it to ourselves to find something to follow as our guiding star and this remains my burden to carry. Hopefully, as you read on and consider your path in life, dig deep and find that dream. I pray you find it, nurture it and see it bare fruit. Just as the Samurai lord sought his perfect cherry blossom amongst the toils of war in a modern world, may you strive ahead to find your perfect dream. While some would say to live with your head in the clouds is a waste of time, I say what a shame to live a life unfulfilled. With so much to read, so much to write and so much to dream we cannot go wrong in the pursuit. Together then let us go forth undaunted into that good night and see what God has provided; if only we just make it so. Have an excellent New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment