Friday, April 17, 2009

Early to Rise


I remember those first days in Army basic training oh so clearly. The morning sounds of drill sergeants coming down the hallway of our barracks yelling and carrying on about getting out to first formation still fill my ears. As time went on I would wake up a few minutes early and be ready for the flash of fluorescent lights and clanging trash cans. But there were mornings when I stood out in first squad of third platoon, A company, fourth battalion, third training brigade with eyes closed; hoping to catch a few more precious moments of sleep before calisthenics and two mile run. I did not realize then how much the experience would influence my life down the road. I can now say I know the meaning of the phrase “early to rise…”

A few days ago my spiritual director challenged me to see myself as the son of a loving Father God. This awakening acknowledgement that I was his son, loved and cared for just as Christ Jesus stirred in me like a clanging trash can or drill sergeant’s voice in an early Missouri morning. Stunned, I sat emotionless and quiet as a deer caught in headlights. Then, I heard a voice say again, “you are that son.” Imagine for a moment that you are his beloved son or daughter. Does it ring true or is there a sense of denial echoing somewhere in the past? Is there a painful experience gnawing at you like a child’s crude remark or a parent’s booming voice causing you to shrink into seeming oblivion? Let it go and rest assured he knows your pain just like he accepted the nails and scourging of his passion and death on the cross.

You do not have to be a soldier to realize at one point in your life that in order to be a responsible adult, a tearing down and building up is what you need. I sight my own experience now because it was brought back to me by the soft and caring voice of someone who knew what I needed to hear. I sit here today wondering how the bills are going to get paid or when a new job will come along. It is the unknowing of uncertain times that burdens me, but I cannot let this down turn keep me from realizing I have a purpose and meaning to fulfill in this world. Yes, I have two sons who depend on me and a wife who needs my support now more than ever, but there is another calling. I must be ready to answer it at any hour of the day or night. The father never reveals his purpose too soon, for he knows best our hearts and when he needs us most. We must pray unceasing and allow that purpose to arise in us just as the rising sun greets the dawn. So, early to bed, early to rise really does make us healthy, wealthy and wise. Witt.

No comments:

Post a Comment