Friday, January 15, 2010

A Conglamoration of Thoughts

  This past week brings to mind many personal thoughts about issues, concerns and tragedy that I could be easily overwhelmed. What I think it means is that I’m in tune with what is going on around me. The challenge is in the choice as to which course of action to take on any one or multiple combination of things or the choice to simply do nothing. From the den meeting on Monday night, the committee meetings on Tuesday, the open hearing on Wednesday night or the roundtable meeting on Thursday, I have been bombarded with information, personal commitment, challenge and choice. The obvious thought is “Man I don’t need all of this extra stuff rattling around in my head, it’s tough enough dealing with a teenager and issues right here at home. Bills need paid, the house needs repair and the kids need money in their lunch accounts at school. What else do I need to concern myself with?"


Lord knows the people of Haiti need our help and the assistance of relief organizations to rescue and treat the injured, house the homeless, bury the dead and attend to the numerous issues of getting resources to a country so beset by poverty. Youth need to be given the opportunity to participate and contribute to society and our nation needs concerned citizens who care enough to speak their own minds. We all need to be engaged in the practice of prayer so that our hearts and souls can ease the tensions building in our minds and bodies.


This is the source of my lectio divina or “sacred reading” for today. From the gospels I can see the paralytic being lowered into the building where Jesus stood teaching the word of God. From that I can imagine rescue workers removing debris from a pile of rubble in hopes of saving a trapped survivor; the Boy Scout removing brush from a cluttered trail or the Cub Scout becoming aware of the needs of others. I am heartened by the voice of strangers who are impassioned by the idea of liberty and justice for all. These are the things that make life worth living!


How many times have we heard ourselves or perhaps another parent say to our kids that “Life isn’t fair.” I wonder what things would be like if it was and no one ever got lost or if people simply got along. The fact is we humans need a challenge and a goal to give life a meaning and purpose; otherwise what would we do but sit around waiting for god knows what. We need to be actively engaged in our world and in our spiritual selves if any of this is to make sense and the final outcome worth the efforts of our labor. So, go forth and be a light unto the world! And for my Dad, don’t worry so much, pray more.

No comments:

Post a Comment