Friday, January 22, 2010

In Pursuit of Happiness

Last evening my wife and I attended a dinner for scout volunteers and leaders. We have been involved for over five years now and it never ceases to amaze me how much people are willing to volunteer and commit themselves to such a cause like Boy Scouts. For us, this past year has been a whirlwind of activity that has included incalculable hours giving of ourselves for the sake of our boys and the causes that mean so much to us outside our family home. It would have been much easier to focus purely on the everyday business of paying bills, taking care of the kids and going about fulfilling our own needs. In these tough economic times it is a wonder so many people have given so generously to the tragedy in Haiti, sharing a meal with a stranger in need right here at home and serving others in their communities. One thing about tough times, it truly does bring people together; which brings me to a fundamental principle that sets our nation apart; the pursuit of happiness.



If you were to define the concept of happiness you might find something in the dictionary that describes a condition in the mind that generates a feeling of ease or lack of mental stress. Now, mind you, I did not look it up but I can relate to it as most people can. For many it is an elusory concept that only the privileged can attain. Fortunately, we know from the celebrity hungry society in which we live, even the “well off” find happiness to be just out of reach. I do not need to site the scandals of idolized professional sports figures or high profile politicians to make my point. The fact is we can all be happy if we truly want to. It is through the yes of others and the need for action to serve that we can do this. I know what they say, “too much of a good thing is not good for you.” That may be true for modern medicine or government entitlements, but volunteering is something that there is never enough of and always a need for wherever you may look.



Today, I look into my own heart and pray for those whom I love and for those I do not even know. I realize the lesson about “what good does it to only care for those who are closest, for would they not also care for you?” The challenge and the true purpose are to give beyond you for the greater good. For me, the greater good is not always the focus of my thoughts, but I try. My hope is that more people can realize the intended purpose of the line inscribed into our national fiber of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” It is more than a state of mind, it is active and alive in our hands as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment