Thursday, May 24, 2012

Contemplation

“My book should smell of pines and resound with the hum of insects.” Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote these words in his essay on Self Reliance in 1841. And so today I seek the words to describe to you the world in which I see and hear each day. I take to heart the advice of Pope Benedict XVI who commented on the power of silence as a means to experience the loving presence of God. My hands tremble as I place my trust in him who inspired creation and speaks to each of us through nature itself. Thoughts return to last evening as I gazed up into a field of twinkling stars and watched the flashing strobes of passing aircraft overhead and the silent flicker of man made objects orbiting this earth teaming with life. I recall the crescent moon emerging from darkness and how hope filled my soul.


As you can see, colorful images paint the canvass of my mind as letters converge to form the words so many authors, theologians and mystics have used to describe the spirit of things that exist all around us. I invite you to take a few moments out of your busy day to sit in quiet and allow silence to speak to a deeper side of you. Though there is no perfect silence except that of the grave, I suggest filtering out the common sounds you hear by allowing them to melt into the beauty of a back yard scene or one in which you alone conjure with closed eyes and pure imagination. Hear the wind through pine needles or maple leaves and breathe deep to fill the recesses of your body and soul. Allow this to speak to you… Now you know the meaning of contemplation.

Today is the day you become a new creation. With a sense of renewal of purpose, awareness of God’s presence and the power of nature at your disposal, live with integrity and the knowledge that today is all you have in which you can make a difference. Yesterday is past, tomorrow lies yet ahead, but the here and now is all that matters. Live free, pray unceasingly and know the love of God surrounds you. Amen

Enjoy the video!

http://youtu.be/_LnxhDvWjlM

No comments:

Post a Comment