Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lost and Found

You see them posted at elementary schools, churches and camps, a sign: Lost and Found. I think that the older I get the more things I tend to lose; maybe it is because I have more on my mind or that I have accumulated more stuff to keep track of. In any case, we all have lost something at one time or another and eventually found it wherever we last saw it or someone has brought it back to us. On the other hand, there are things we will never see again either because what we have lost is somewhere we cannot get to or because it was destroyed. One thing that never goes away is the love of God.

We may stray from the flock and get lost in the ways of the world, or we may simply lose track of our journey in life because of the pitfalls and detours that send us off on a whole new direction. My life seems to revolve around these detours, and yet, I have gone nowhere. Yes, my faith has been challenged, my body beaten and my ego bruised, but one thing remains constant; the presence of a higher power within that is renewed every time I enter in presence and prayer.

My wife has been a model to me for her daily devotion and dedication to setting aside time for reflection, journaling and silent prayer. But even this has not kept her from struggling with all of the worldly concerns that take away the joy and intimacy from our marriage. It seems as though we have lost something precious or that we are being challenged to accept something brand new into our relationship that only God can provide. I am writing about it today because I do not know how else to deal with the sense of failure I feel about my life. Maybe I am just feeling sorry for myself for having made poor choices about finances, work or the unfortunate circumstances that have placed more burdens on my wife. All I can say to her is “I’m sorry.”

Today, I read from the gospels about how the least among us becomes the greatest and how the lost are sought out and brought back into the fold. Well, I am feeling a little lost right now, especially since things have not gone well at home, but I cannot allow this to put my love out of reach or to destroy a relationship that has shown me the greatest joy. And so I take up my daily burden and admit my faults and failings and ask my Savior to forgive all I have done and failed to do for the sake of being found once again. May the love of God bring you peace and find you well this day. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment