Monday, August 13, 2012

The Olympic Hangover

In the city of London, the first full day after the Olympics has to feel like a massive hangover. While the world watched a successful and carefully edited version of the events that took place, I wonder how the average citizen of London dealt with the traffic delays, huge wondering crowds and the massive media attention that swarmed their city. I cannot help wondering if most Londoners are feeling a collective sigh of relief that it is over and that they can get on with their lives.

I know in my own life there have been times when I looked forward to a particular event that took months to plan and prepare for that suddenly came and went before I had a chance to fully process in my mind. Kind of like the day after a wedding when the bride and groom have gone off to share some time away from the daily grind of life to solidify their bond to each other. While it is a relief to know that everything turned out as planned, there is that let down of knowing the day is past and all that remains is a collection of photographs and memories to remind of that wonderful time. Funny, how I remember that it rained on my own wedding day, but it is not what I chose to focus on afterwards. They say that rain is a blessing for a wedding day so I guess that is what I stored away in my memory banks about that special occasion. Is there a special day that you can recall in your own life?

The lessons we learn and the memories we cherish are but fleeting examples of what “living large” is all about. We cannot spend all of our time looking forward to that big event to come along to get us motivated to live. It is the every day events of our lives that all too often get passed up and we forget to appreciate the little things that make life so precious. I hope that there are more things to remember for Londoners than what was displayed over the telee during the last two weeks. I am sure there were babies born, weddings performed and work that was done just as there were walks in the park, prayers said and tears wiped away.

Let us all remember to take a few moments out of our daily lives to appreciate every little thing that makes us who we are and challenges us to be. We certainly do not receive a medal for being a good parent or hard worker, but we are blessed with life and the opportunity to grow closer to the one who created us in his image. Let us pray for preparedness and being appreciative for every moment that life gives us, for time is short yet a gift all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment