Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Foul Weather

A few thoughts:
It is that strange time of year when the weather cannot seem to decide what it wants to do, but then here in Ohio that is pretty much common place. So I sit here listening to a storm slowly pass overhead, and I begin to wonder how thankful I am that a little rain has come to dissipate some of the extreme heat of the last couple of days. You know, it is kind of funny to think that we close up the windows, turn on the air conditioning, and then find ourselves shivering inside with a blanket. Perhaps that is not the case with everyone, especially me as I have closed up the windows, but have no air conditioning to turn up. This old house stays pretty cool with ceiling fans going, and having a basement underneath. So it's 80 degrees, but it beats 93.
I am reminded of other kinds of heat, and foul weather, the kind that creeps in to wreak havoc on our personal lives like financial problems, relationships​ gone sour, or other  issues that steal away some of the joy in life that we were meant to experience. It is not everyday that we get to see a child being born, or a son graduate from high school, but we cannot allow one little storm cloud, or heat wave to take away from the ordinary things like watching a storm cross the sky. It is OK to let the rain fall so that we may feel the cooling affect that naturally occurs after the storm. I still wish sometimes that I could turn on the air, and crawl beneath a secure blanket when the heat gets too high, but then, what do I learn from that? How can I change the weather of my discontented heart if  I always reach for the simple solution? It is hard not to dive under the covers, get angry, or blame others for our misfortune when simply closing up the windows, and turning​ on the ceiling fan will do. Now, I leave the rest to you. Joy is a simple choice to let go, and let God, or simply stew in our own foul weather. God bless.
Witt

No comments:

Post a Comment