Saturday, June 30, 2018

Deck with a View

A Deck With A View:
Heron's Perch

I watched it glide in
From across the lake
Silent stable flight
Then landing
Upon a pontoon perch
Like a tightrope walker
Part trapeze artist,
And zen master
Poised precariously
Between the elements
Air, water, land.

In a moment
I was immersed
In silent revery
This icon of tranquility.

Then, without warning
It lept into the lake
Splashing
Took flight again
Entering a strafing pattern
Inches above the water
Towards marshes on a distant shore.

Perhaps hunger drove it
Though in twilight
It prefers to hunt
In solitude it teaches
Patience, and awareness
Of a present now
In which there is no past or future.

And in a last glimpse of flight
I felt a calming breeze
Knowing I learned a lesson
From the master
Who sits aware
Of my life
With its elements
Of joy, sorrow, and despair
Telling  me not to worry
That life is but a transition
From one plain to another
That solitude is profound
Togetherness a gift
Awareness a silent pleasure
Only the seeking have found
Upon a heron's perch.

D.A. Wittler 6/30/18
Atwood Lake Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment