Thursday, November 1, 2018

One Day At A Time For Dad

For the man  I knew as a child who seemed invincible, his work ethic unstoppable. Who hung his clothes on a kitchen chair at night so as not to wake my mother who was already planning out her day in a silent slumber only mother's can know.
For the father I now know who worries out loud whereas years ago he buried it deep in a silent rage only father's can feel. For the "old man" creeping by through life with a cane in hand, and an oxygen bottle at his side. For the son I wish I had been, and only now can comprehend. For a shoulder to lean on, a hand to hold on to, and an ear always listening to a soul longing for freedom.
For a God to be kind enough to grant a peaceful end to a perfect day.
Amen
I Am Today

Who am I today?
Friend, stranger
Loner, introvert, lover?
Oh I am what I need to be
At any given moment
Taking in the beauty of your voice
It is my choice
Over miles of pasture
Fields of corn
Blankets of soy beans
Once green with life enduring
Until the harvest moon comes calling
Devouring in an autumn mist
Preparing for wisps of winter wind.

I am caring
A !atent soul emerging
On angel's wings appearing
I am my own invention
Being of God's creation
Free will lets me roam
Upon shores of freedom
To determine my life's course
While this mortal vessel courses
With that which bleeds
From a heart that leaps for joy
Dives into waters of depression
Or beats dry upon death's door
I am mortal man
I am today!

D.A. Wittler 11/1/18

No comments:

Post a Comment