Saturday, May 16, 2020

More Than a Memory

More Than A Memory

(For Gene)


I remember so clearly 

First days of friendship 

School days and discoveries 

Like it was yesterday 

Now you are gone

And I wonder…


Does a forest remember?

After a storm

In calm 

after the  storm

Even though it is broken

Torn down and fallen

Trees returning

Standing tall once again

More than a memory

Former glory

Nature restored.


Is that how life is?

After a heartache 

 When you are battered and torn

From the inside out

You wonder

Can I live again?

And I look yonder…


Does a farm field remember?

Winter wheat resting under blanketed snow

Spring hail in a thunder storm

Even though it is flooded

Washed away, and swollen

Corn returns with tall tassels 

More than a memory

Former glory

Bounty returns.


Is life like that?

After the mourning

Taps calling

A volley for your service

Finally resting 

In a garden of stone…

I wonder

 Can we live again?

Saying goodbye 

 Brother, soldier, and  friend. 


More than a memory

A smile

A laugh

Sound of your voice 

Echoing inside of myself

And I wonder…

Does your spirit remember?

D.A. Wittler 5/13/20



 

No comments:

Post a Comment