Monday, October 3, 2016

Soldier On

A few thoughts:
Sitting in the rain at a high school football game can conjure a variety of thoughts, especially if you cannot seem to concentrate on what is happening on the field. I was thankful for pregame festivities, and a great half time show on Friday night, they brought back many fond memories, and some not so great. I tried capturing the experience in this piece. God bless.
Witt
Soldier On
Once a soldier
Always a soldier
At least that is what they say
Once a father
Always a father
As I am today
But a husband
Not always true
A whole different thing
It can all change
Like a suit of clothes
One day well dressed
Another in chains
From a past you can't change.

So where does one go
When it's all gone
The love
The home
The relationship?
How to move on
How to live again
How to mend
I don't know
Except to soldier on
Father on
Be a friend.

But my mind isn't quite right
My soul some times low
Body moving slow
Thoughts so confused 
Sleepless nights
Even God seems far away
As I pray 
Answers will come
But I survive till then
So I know the outcome
Will be OK
As long
As I soldier on.

D.A. Wittler 16'

No comments:

Post a Comment