Saturday, June 9, 2012

The God Within



The following is a journal entry from earlier today as I hiked the grounds of Lial Renewal Center located near Whitehouse, Ohio. It is a reflection on the inner dialogue that I often experience in prayer. As you can tell I like to try new ways in which to connect to the sacred.

Today is Dad’s Day for me, even though Father’s Day is not until next weekend. On this day, Saturday June 9, 2012, I have set out to find the God within. Being a father of two sons myself, I can relate to some of what God the Father must have experienced and that realization is why I call this day Dad’s Day. A little part of him, my dad, lives in me just as a portion of me lives in my sons. And just as I have vowed to be a husband, a part of me resides in my wife Joyce and her in me.

OK, if I can acknowledge these relationships in the real world, why then can I not apply this same principle to my relationship with God. No reason at all, right? So, instead of trying so hard to find God in the world or through prayer, all I really have to do is look inward and to see that God is inside as well as outside.

The external beauty of this place is a mere reflection and reminder of God’s creative power and imagination. The breeze through the leaves is a means to be audibly stimulated by the presence of the Holy Spirit. The sky is as blue as the eyes of a loving Savior that sometimes cloud with tears and wash away the fears in my mind. I become the hands that till the soil of productive relationships and good works.

And so, with these things in mind, I pray: “Heavenly Father, Prince of peace, Fire of my soul; thank you for the gift of senses and all that surrounds me as a reminder to look inward in order to reach outwards so that I can embrace you as my Father, brother and mentor in this precious short life here on earth." Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment