Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday Morning Quarterback


I've had my morning cup of motivation and I'm transitioning towards a position of mindful consideration.
– D. Wittler

(Unless someone can find another source and blow what I thought was an original expression.)



I am not normally in the habit of using sports analogies to express the weird and crazy ideas that surface in my brain, but this one seemed to fit quite nicely. It is so easy to analyze a situation that occurred in the past and try to “fix it” in the present time. Just like the fumble or miscue that caused our favorite team to lose the big game, we say to ourselves “I cannot believe he threw that pass when he should have handed off the ball.” We can second guess ourselves for doing one thing or experience the regret that resulted from the choices we have made and use that energy of foresight the next time.



The truth is, we are our own quarterback and we must make choices and decisions that will affect the future. If I am guilty of anything it is waiting too long to make the pass or hand off the ball and I get sacked in the back field. Again, I apologize for the analogy. The point is that I must be mindful of my weaknesses and trust that any decision I make is a good one as long as I do not hesitate and miss out on a greater opportunity to grow as a human being. God knows us better than anyone and is mindful not to interfere when our well being is on the line whether for our own good or for some other reason. We have the ability to pick ourselves up and get back in the game as long as we keep the big picture in mind. This does not always mean winning the game but perhaps we can gain some valuable insight into what our direction in life really is.



Sometimes we must fall in order to see the world from the ground up rather than thinking we need a higher vantage point in order to experience true victory. I believe from my own experience that playing hurt can serve two purposes; to teach us what not to do or to teach us how to land on our own two feet. All too often I have carried the hurt around and have used that feeling to keep me from going back out on the field and trying again. I can honestly say I am in that space right now with getting a new job, but I am trying new strategies to avoid the same old results of the past. I do not want to get hurt again, but I also realize that risk is all a part of the game. I trust that faith will keep me focused and that tomorrow will bring a whole new light to my situation. I pray that you will find peace and solace in the words of our Lord: “Do not be afraid, for I am with you always.” With that kind of encouragement, I can look forward to getting back out there and enjoying the game for the thrill of the hunt and to not be gun shy because I might get hurt in the process. Peace- Witt

No comments:

Post a Comment