Friday, August 4, 2017

From My Father's House

For all of us who have issues with life, and I think that pretty much covers all human beings on the planet, a little perspective:
For many centuries, perhaps even from the dawn of human creation, men, and women alike have held on to the things that have shaped them as individuals. Good, and bad go hand in hand as much comes from parents, guardians, or homes of record. Character makes up a lot of who we are, and like it or not we experience things that add to , or detract from that image of ourselves. Often we look to our fathers for guidance as we grow from childhood to adulthood, and as the case may be, we may not always get what we bargained for.
I for one may not have received the love, and affection of my father like I may have needed at various points in time in my life, but it doesn't mean I have to dwell on the loss, or lack of, rather, that I took what I could get, and ran with it. I don't have to let resentment for this lacking get me so downhearted that I cannot function when life stresses me to the extreme. I don't have to run for cover every time I am reminded of the bad things that have occurred in my life.

God knows from the very beginning that human resentment goes all the way to the top. In fact, I think it was figured into our DNA that at some point we look to a father figure to blame for our shortcomings, and or flaws in character. All I can say in this regard is this; make peace with it any way you can. Seek wise counsel of a trusted friend, or professional, pray for guidance, and above all, take the time while it is at hand to go to your father, and speak from your heart whatever it is that is keeping you from becoming the ideal image of yourself. I can't tell you how much turmoil there has been in my own life because of resentment, anger, and hurt over feelings towards my own father, but I had to pass through some pretty awful waters to get to where I am today to be able to share my experience with you. I hope that in your own way that you find a means to make peace with the past so you can become the best version of yourself that God intended. So, sit back, take a few deep breaths, pick up the phone, send a text, say a prayer, or even speak to an empty chair if it helps resolve the pain in your heart. May God bless you, and keep you firmly in His care!

No comments:

Post a Comment